Thursday, June 19, 2008

THOUGHTS FROM OUR SVHS CLASSMATES 6-19-08




From: Philip Tackel
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:51 AM

http://www.legacy.com/SunSentinel/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=111739822
_______________________________________

From: Jeff Presser
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:27 AM

Please send this to those I have not included. He sure did make an impression.
_______________________________________

From: Sydney Smilowitz Ross
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:42 AM

Margie....Thank you for sending the very sad news....I am shocked. I spoke to Jeff on the computer a week or two ago and we were going to get together. He asked me to call his wife Ellen and I was just about getting ready to do so. I will attend the funeral. I will also get back to you with his phone number which I have to search out on my old emails. He was way too young to die and obviously had a very fulfilling life, career, and family. I am so sorry that we never got the chance to renew our acquaintance from HS. Now I finally get to see him...at his funeral.
When they say....we make plans and God laughs...it's true.
I believe Jeff was the very first person I ever contacted on Clasmates.com. Please forward this on to anyone you please that knew Jeff. My heart and thoughts go out to his wife and sons....and remind me to be grateful that I was able to get up today and put my feet on the ground...because everyday is a gift. Will get back to you soon.
Sydney
_______________________________________

From: Sydney Smilowitz Ross
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:33 AM

I am sure there will be people from SVHS at the funeral who will not recognize me and vice versa. In order to identify myself, I will be wearing a very large white or pink flower pin on my left side. My hair is reddish with blond highlights and I will be wearing large brown frame glasses. If anyone sees me, please come over. Marge, please forward this to others for me. Sydney
_______________________________________

From: Marge Teilhaber
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:53 PM

Sydney Smilowitz Ross will be at Jeff’s funeral and I believe Steve Alpert also. See Sydney’s email below. I have both of their phone numbers if anyone wants to call them.
Tim Russert and Jeff Winikoff in the same week. Both of them smart, funny, unique and wonderful personalities whose shoes will never be filled, men who adored their families, oh, how we hate to have to say good-bye.
_______________________________________

From: Nina Hoffman Steen
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:17 PM

My condolences to everyone...Wasn't it great to be able to get together, with Jeff and everyone who came to the 40th reunion, and have such a wonderful time? I hope we can do it again soon.
xxoo
Nina Hoffman Steen
_______________________________________

From: Sandy Gronek
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:29 PM

It's anticipated that there will be many more people there than Beth Israel can hold. The attorneys here loved and respected Jeffrey and many attorneys, even those from the same firms are going, as well as almost every Judge. In addition to that, many, many people from Boca and West Boca. If someone is planning on attending, they may want to get there earlier than 12:30. I know Ellen would want his oldest friends to be able to get in.
_______________________________________

From: Marge Teilhaber
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:33 PM

Thought you’d all appreciate reading a part of an email that Jeff wrote me in January 2006:

“Can you tell me anything about a reunion? Strange as it may seem, I feel some urgency about seeing old friends again though I recognize that as something of a fool's errand. Nevertheless the feeling is real and growing. I look back on SVHS with great fondness and always have believed that it was a very special place and time. I'm afraid I wait weekly to see if someone new will show up on Classmates or if someone will be willing to share some thoughts.”
_______________________________________

From: Howie Sherman
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:06 PM

Hi Marge - So as I was telling you, my memory of Jeff is full of humor and laughs. He actually advised me on my "first date." I believe it was in 8th grade since I remember the conversation occurring in Kakiat. I told Jeff that I asked a girl to the movies, but I didn't know whether it was appropriate for me to pay for both tickets or whether I had to take her for a snack after the movie (my only employment was my newspaper route). Jeff told me that it didn't matter, as long as I kissed her during the movie since girls want to be kissed and this is the only way she would go out with me again. He also told me to sit in the balcony towards the rear. I asked him how and when to start. He told me that I should just lean over and kiss her about halfway through the movie.
When we arrived at the movie, I inquired regarding the length of the movie, divided the length in half and noted the time of the kiss on my watch. As the time drew near, I became more and more nervous. Finally, at exactly halfway through the movie, I did lean over and kiss her. She actually became angry and told me that I was trying to create a "side show" for the audience.
That was my first date with any girl, and my last date with that girl. I've rarely seen Jeff since high school, but it is amazing how empty I, and the rest of us, feel at his loss. I'll speak to you soon.

Howie Sherman
_______________________________________
From: Scott Teilhaber
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 2:38 PM

Sad news. I will always have fond memories of Jeff and his sense of humor and his good nature.

Scott Teilhaber

2 comments:

RICHARD said...

I WAS FORTUNATE TO TALK WITH JEFF A LOT IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS..INV ARIBLY WE WOULD TALK OF GROWING UP IN SV AND OUR FOND REMEMBERANCES OF HIGH SCHOOL.ALL THE HOT GIRLS AND FUN TIMES. JEFF WAS A CARING,WITFUL,HONEST CRUMUDGEON I WILL MISS HIM.........


RED KURZMAN

marge201 said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Red.